Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Today I turn 40

Well, it finally came. I'm 40. what happens when you turn 40? All day, I've downpayed my day and to be very honest it was much like every other day. I woke up, took my boys to school. Spent some time in the office. Came back in to have lunch with my kids. Worked some more and then played outside on this gorgeous November day as it was plus 15 outside.

That being said, my birthday was significant not because it was the day I was born, but becuase of the people in my life. I am truly amazed at the number of people that took even a few seconds out of their day to send me a simple birthday wish. Social media sites like Facebook really enhance relationships and connections in strange ways because I heard from wonderful people that I may not have heard from before the creation of Facebook. For that, I am glad and more importantly, I am glad I took a little time to finally use facebook and connect with others.

I really appreciate those that took the time to use 'old' technology and pick up the phone and make a call. Some, like my nieces and nehpews in Salt Lake City even sang me a birthday wish.

But what would a birthday be without my family. If there is one thing I am truly grateful for at 40 it's the fact that I have the most amazing wife and 4 perfect little boys. What would life at 40 be without them.

40 is a time of reflection

My birthday is my opportunity to let the cat out of the bag. I am working on a new software program called My Legacy Organizer which out of all the products I have created in the past, I am most excited about. It's a program that help people to diarize and share the stories, memories and details of life to create a legacy that is meaningful to the people that love you. In conjunction with this, I have taken the opportunity as a time to reflect back on my life and write a quasi autobiography on my life. Although some might find it interesting, I know that many won't. And truthfully that's OK. Why? Because I did not write it for others. I wrote it for my family and especially my kids. I am proud of my accomplishments especially when it comes to my family. I think we all have things to be proud of and it is those things that need to be diarized and shared.

The best thing about reflecting at 40 is it has allowed me to think about the future in a different light. It has helped me to recognize what is really important.

Thanks again for sharing in my day and my sincere wish is that your birthday, whether it is 40, 33, 51 or whatever age is a time to reflect on what is important!

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. aaaaah...you brought tears to my eyes! What a fabulous idea re: My Legacy Organizer. I know I have lots to say about my life but I'll have to do some major editing hee, hee. I feel so lucky to have met you, Jim. Glad you had a wonderful birthday

    ReplyDelete